At Hanley Swan C of E Primary School, learning to be a successful reader is a priority throughout the school and this all begins in class 1. Through daily phonics sessions (see Read, write, inc page) the children acquire the skills to blend within the first few weeks. They develop their blending week on week until they are confident and become fluent readers. Alongside phonics and blending, the children are also challenged on their comprehension of the stories that they are reading.
We teach reading in a variety of ways in class 1. Here is a brief outline...
1. Daily phonics/Read, write, inc sessions with books matched to phonic knowledge.
2. Weekly library session and self chosen library books.
3. Regular reading at home with a reading level matched book chosen by the child.
4. Weekly one to one reading session using books closely linked to the pupils phonics skills.
5. Daily whole class/small group story time with a focus on enjoyment of stories and comprehension.
6. The use of Alphablocks to support blending of newly acquired phonic knowledge.